Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Pasta with Chorizo and Sweet Potato Sauce

This was another recipe inspired from Deceptively Delicious, which I renamed, veganized, changed ingredients up, the usual.  Still, the idea behind the original recipe was good: pureeing sweet potatoes for the sauce to get the kiddos to each more veggies. This also has chopped up celery and carrots, as well, so it's nice and healthy. This came out tasty, and the fam liked it, so all is good.  I puree my veggies ahead of time, bag and freeze them, and then thaw them out for recipes.  So, my sweet potatoes were already boiled, peeled and pureed for this recipe. This makes a lot of sauce, plenty for leftovers. Give this one a go, and let me know how it works for you.


Pasta with Chorizo and Sweet Potato Sauce

Ingredients:

1 pound pasta (we used penne)
2 Tbs. olive oil
4 onions, chopped small
4 cloves garlic, minced
12 carrots, chopped small
4 stalks celery, chopped small
2 - 10 oz. pkgs. soy chorizo
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
4 - 29 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
1 - 14.5 oz. can Del Monte petite cut tomatoes with chipotle chilies
1 - 32 oz. box Imagine No-Chicken Broth
1 Tbs. vegan sugar
2 cups prepared sweet potato puree (boiled first)

Directions:

Prepare pasta according to package directions midway through making the sauce.  For the sauce, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.  When oil is hot, add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery, and cook for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the chorizo and salt and pepper, and cook for another five minutes.  Add the tomatoes, broth and sugar.  Lower heat to medium low and cook for at least 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add in the sweet potato puree, and stir well.  Continue to cook until heated through, about ten minutes.  Serve over pasta.  This makes a bunch!  I froze about half the sauce for a later meal.  Feeds five hungry vegans and then some.  Very good.

8 comments:

  1. Sweet potato puree in tomato sauce! What a great idea! I am always looking for new ways to use sweet potatoes in savoury meals. My partner always gets confused when I serve sweet potatoes (roasted or steamed) along with other veggies. He doesn't like the sweet and savoury mix. But maybe masked in a sauce, he might like it! I know, for my part, I am definitely going to like this. Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like this. It doesn't overpower with its flavor. Let me know what you think.

      Delete
  2. Way to ruin Tomato Sauce! I wont be doing this, but it looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SV, now what's wrong with this? The sweet potato? It works great here! Chicken.

      Delete
  3. Hooray to see you back! I can't make a pasta sauce without stuffing it jam-packed with veggies. Not enough soyrizo round here for my liking though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey, I love veggie-packed sauces, too. Drives my kids crazy. That's why hiding some is working perfectly. I've been finding all sorts of different brands of soyrizo weirdly enough. Glad to be back.

      Delete
  4. Looks great to me! I haven't tried soyrizo before but I loved chorizo, I will have to try it out!
    B~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel something good here. Your skill is great. 바둑이게임

    ReplyDelete