Thursday, January 30, 2014

Tofu, Brussels Sprouts and Peanut Stir-fry

This is one of those classic, throw-it-together meals, using up leftovers that turns out fantastic enough to become a real recipe worth repeating.  With just a few ingredients, this makes a complete meal for our family.


Tofu, Brussels Sprouts and Peanut Stir-fry

Ingredients:

2 Tbs. canola oil
3 -  12 to 14 oz. pkgs, water-packed tofu, drained and cubed in 1/2 inch squares
2 cups of Brussels sprouts halves
2 cups of kale, chopped
2 cups of cooked or leftover medium pasta - I used bow ties
2 Tbs. sesame oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup peanuts, coarsely chopped

Directions:

Heat canola oil over medium high heat in a large pan.  When hot, add the tofu cubes.  Cook for fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned.  Reduce heat to medium and add the Brussels sprouts.  Cook for another ten minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the kale, pasta, sesame oil and soy sauce.  Stir well and cook for five minutes, until kale is just wilted.  Add the peanuts.  Turn off heat and stir. Serve hot. Feeds five hungry vegans.

15 comments:

  1. Oh yum! You know I'll be making this for the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yes, I know how much your little ones love Brussels sprouts. Lucky Mom!

      Delete
  2. fabulous. I made a b. sprout & spinach with coconut stir fry this morning for dinner...but yours looks & sounds divine.

    http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours sounds good too, Millie! I hope you'll post it.

      Delete
  3. Looks both hearty and nutritious. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah — all my favorites in one dish. We had a similar stir-fry with kale last night, but it was missing the Brussels sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've seen pasta and peanuts together like this before. Sounds really good. I don't often use peanuts in my meals but I should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They offer a nice crunch to meal, that's for sure!

      Delete
  6. This looks delicious! I love having peanuts whole in stir-fry :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, brussels are one of my favourite greens, and I love them in a stir fry. The peanuts are a lovely touch - can't beat a bit of crunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey, thanks! I wouldn't have thought of Brussels sprouts as greens, but as cabbage. But greens make them sound even healthier!

      Delete