Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Puppy Dog Cake, Superhero Transformation Cake and JK's 7th Birthday!

Hello!  I thought before too much more time has passed I should put up the cakes for JK's birthday that was over the summer.  Since JK's actual birthday was on a Friday, I asked him what kind of cake he would want, and he asked for a puppy cake.  His party was the next day on Saturday, so I made him a cake that is supposed to represent the moment of transformation from an ordinary man to a superhero.  People thought I either just went crazy with the frosting and ended up with an abstract design, or politely nodded when I tried to explain what I did and that it was on purpose.  I think it looks good!  What do you think?  :-)

Both of these cakes use my White Cake with White Butter Cream Frosting  as their base, and then built from there.  They are easy and fun to make, and taste good too!

 Puppy Cake

 
  Side view of Puppy Cake - notice how the ears go down to the bottom layer

 Slice of that cute puppy!

 Superhero Transformation Cake - you see it, right?

 A slice of that transformation

Both cakes start with the batter for my...

White Cake:

Ingredients:

2 and 1/2 cups cake flour
1 and 1/2 cups vegan or raw sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups soy milk 

1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbs. EnerG Egg Replacer
4 Tbs. water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two round cake pans with an oil spray, and lightly flour their bottoms. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, cream the shortening to soften it completely. In a small bowl or mug, whisk together the Egg Replacer and water. Alternate the flour mixture and the milk into the shortening, beating with a mixer on medium speed. With the last addition of milk, add the Egg Replacer mixture and the vanilla extract. Beat for three minutes, until completely smooth. Divide between the two cake pans, and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for fifteen minutes in their pans on a cooling rack. Then carefully invert the cakes out onto the rack to finish cooling.


The Frosting for both starts out as my White Butter Cream Frosting and is tweaked for each cake.  Here's the basic frosting recipe:

Frosting:

1/2 cup vegan margarine, room temperature
1/8 tsp. salt
3 and 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbs. soy milk


Directions:

When the cakes have completely cooled, prepare the frosting. In a medium bowl, cream together the margarine and salt. Starting on low speed and working up to medium, beat in the powdered sugar. Add the vanilla extract and the soy milk, and beat on medium speed for three to five minutes, until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Makes enough frosting for one double layer cake. 

For the Puppy Cake:

Extra Ingredients:

2 Tbs. cocoa
2 vegan chocolate chips
1 freeze-dried raspberry or fresh berry

Extra Directions:

Divide the frosting in half.  Mix in cocoa in one of the halves.  Spread about half the chocolate frosting onto the top of what will be the bottom layer of cake.  Add the top half.  Spread the vanilla frosting on the sides of the cake and the top, leaving space for the puppy's ears.  Spread the chocolate into two large floppy ears that extend down to the bottom layer of the cake.  Add a couple of cute eyebrows and a little dot nose.  Place the two chocolate chips as eyes and the raspberry as a tongue.  Now, you've got an adorable puppy cake!

For the Superhero Transformation Cake:

Extra Ingredients:  NOTE:  I've misplaced my actual recipe, where I noted precise measurements.  I'll guesstimate here and update when I've found the recipe, but this is pretty close.

1/4 cup freshly pureed blueberries
1 Tbs. turmeric

Extra Directions:

Divide the frosting into 2/3 and 1/3.  Leave the 2/3 vanilla, and spread the cakes as normal.  Divide the remaining third into another 2/3 and 1/3.  Mix the blueberry puree in with the smaller amount and the turmeric in with the larger.  Spread the turmeric-based frosting in creative angles and segments to represent the explosion of a person becoming a superhero; don't forget the center of the blast.  Flick the blueberry-based frosting on the cake with a fork to add to the sheer excitement of the transformation.  Behold, the blinding blast of man to hero!  Eat up.

Both cakes feed five hungry vegans for a couple of days or several babbling children at a birthday party.  Yummers!

15 comments:

  1. The cakes both came out great! I like to make character cakes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday JK and I will keep in touch with you BM. Surgery is still unscheduled but it will come to be in January...Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME cakes! Happy Birthday!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theresa, they are so much fun, aren't they?

    Millie, keep us updated!

    Affectioknit, thanks and you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like just yesterday that J.K. was three-years-old. Where have the years gone? That's what the Puppy Cake is wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that puppy cake, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That puppy cake is too cute! :)

    Haha, funnily, I do see the superhero transformation abstract art thing you've done. :D

    Both cakes look super yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such and adorable puppy cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SV, Tell me about it! At first I thought JK wasn't that young when I started, but then I remembered I started this blog in 2009. So, yup, he was three!

    Sara, thanks!

    Veganosaurus, thanks for the cake support! I'm glad someone besides me can see the superhero transformation.

    Molly, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see the puppy clearly, and I think I see the super hero transformation, but the only important thing here is whether the Birthday boy liked the cake. If he liked it, then it was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The puppy cake is cute beyond cute. What a super sweet birthday present! You really are a cake-making ninja!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andrea, he loved how they tasted! So, I guess they were a success. :-)

    Joey, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a difficult time with decorating cakes, which is why I usually stick to cupcakes. But I think I could do the puppy! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. s baby-boomer pet parents reach retirement age it is common to think about putting aside the dog collars, pet clothing and dog harnesses and retire from being pet parents. This is especially common as a beloved pet may die. The usual questions of a grieving pet owner are magnified by older pet owners. dog toys

    ReplyDelete