Saturday, May 18, 2013

Potato Tacos

I first had potato tacos about seven years ago at a Mexican restaurant in town.  They had traditional toppings on them, so I had them without the cheese.  But, what stood out to me most were the potatoes in them, so small and crispy.  I had never heard nor thought of putting potatoes in tacos, but I was inspired!  I may have eaten there one more time that than - I can't really remember - but the tacos have never left my memory.  So, I decided to redo them here at home, and everyone loved them.  I like to switch my taco toppings up and try some unorthodox things, and I really like the result here.


Potato Tacos

Ingredients:

20 or so corn tortillas
Canola oil, divided
5 Russet potatoes
1 - 29oz. can vegetarian refried beans
1 container vegan sour cream
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1/2 cup or so mint leaves, small (cut them in half in they are large)
Favorite salsa

Directions:

In a large pan, heat about two tablespoons of oil on medium heat.  Peel the potatoes and dice them very small.  Add them to the oil, and cook for about thirty minutes.  Turn occasionally, letting the sides get brown and crispy.  In the last five minutes of cooking potatoes, heat the beans in a medium pot over medium heat.  When the potatoes and beans are ready, heat a few drops of oil in a small pan over medium heat.  When the oil is hot, add a tortilla.  Cook for a few seconds on one side and then flip over.  Add a spoonful of the beans and a spoonful of the potatoes to one side of the shell.  Carefully fold the other half of the shell over and put on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.  Repeat the process with the rest of the shells, potatoes and beans.  Each few drops of oil should last for a couple of tortillas.  When all the tacos are ready, garnish with your toppings.  Delicious!  Feeds five hungry vegans.

7 comments:

  1. I just read about potato-stuffed burritos on Molly's blog, and now potato tacos? I can see potato tacos in my future. Maybe I can find some next weekend in Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything with potatoes is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good! I know that potatoes make it into tacos and burritos in Mexican cooking, and these certainly showcase that well! Can't wait to try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The carbier the better! I love potato tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea, I can SEE your comment, yay! You should have a blast in Portland with all the veggie options there. Hope to see some photos.

    Molly, my SR would definitely agree with you!

    Ingrid, they caught me by surprise when I read them on their menu. And, now I love them.

    FF, have you had them in your neighborhood? I love carbs too, but I have to watch it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you can pretty much put anything in tacos and they come out beautiful, but these look super tasty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joey, I can't remember the last bad taco I've had, especially since becoming vegan.

    ReplyDelete