Thursday, April 25, 2013

Easy Coconut Curry Seitan Stir-fry

Here is a twist on the classic stir-fry using seitan.  I love whipping up a simple seitan for dinner as an option for our protein.  Even though you can make seitan itself as flavorful as you want, I like to keep it simple when I'm using it in a sauce.  That way there's no competing for flavors in the dish.  Because I was making a coconut curry sauce, I knew I wanted our seitan to be a simple one.  See below for that recipe as well as for the rest of the stir-fry. 


Easy Coconut Curry Seitan Stir-fry

Ingredients:

Prepared seitan (recipe below)
2 Tbs.canola oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 yellow onion, quartered and sliced
1/2 head of green cabbage, sliced
2 Tbs. fresh ginger, peeled and chopped small
1 Tbs. green curry paste
1 - 15oz. can coconut milk
1 bunch of cilantro chopped (w/out bottom stems), about one cup

Directions:

[For the seitan: 
2 cups gluten flour
2 cups water or vegetable broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup vegan Worcestershire sauce
In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients well.  After it comes together quickly, knead a few times, just to make sure there are no dry spots.  Wrap several times in aluminum foil and steam for one hour.  Let cool a few minutes.]

In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat.  Slice the seitan in "thinnish" rectangles, about two inches long.  Add the seitan to the pan and cook for ten minutes, or until the seitan is browned on all sides.  Stir frequently.  Salt and pepper the seitan to your taste while sauteing.  Add the onion, cabbage and ginger, and cook for another five or ten minutes, until they are fork tender.  Move the seitan and veggies to the side of the pan with a spatula.  Drop the green curry paste on the cleared side of the pan.  Add the coconut milk to the paste and whisk well.  Stir back in the seitan and veggies into the curry coconut sauce.  Cook for two or so minutes, until it is heated through.  Add the cilantro and stir well.  Ready to eat!  Served over noodles, this makes a complete meal.  Feeds five hungry vegans.

12 comments:

  1. I make red curry most often, but now you have me wanting green curry — green curry with cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I love coconut curry sauce! I've never made my own seitan, I'll have to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, I actually have green curry more often than red. I'll have to eat more red.

    Ingrid, this is such a simple recipe. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does look pretty easy. Only half a head of Cabbage to feed five hungry vegans? You couldn't use the whole head?

    ReplyDelete
  5. SV, nope, the whole head would have almost been a dish in itself. This worked perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so good. It looks delightful and very easy to make. Thanks BM, love all those recipes...keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coconut is a hugely divisive foodstuff in our house - I love it, my other half fears it! I can just about get away with it in thai curries though. I normally use tofu - I never thought about using seitan before. How daft is that? I need to remedy that sharpish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Millie, thank you so much.

    Joey, does your other half have the same disdain for coconut milk? No chunks here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks absolutely divine! I looooove coconut based savoury dishes. *slurp*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Veganosaurus, thank you! I share the same liking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, this includes some of my favorite ingredients (cabbage, cilantro, coconut milk, seitan...). I don't think I've ever had green curry paste, or at least, I've never cooked with it, but I'm going to put it on my shopping list. More great foodie inspiration from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Miss Rachel, thank you! I loved this dish. :-)

    ReplyDelete