Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Pineapple Upside Down Cake and Thanksgiving, 2012

I'm finally getting my Thanksgiving post up!  At least it's in the same month.  :-)  As usual, I let each member of my family pick out what they want for dinner and dessert and truly make it a meal for which we are thankful.  See below for our menu and for a new recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cake.  This cake was super moist and delicious.  I veganized one of several recipes easily found on the web.  When I followed the directions, I found I had to make adjustments and corrections to the recipe along the way.  One thing I will probably adjust in the future is the amount of brown sugar used; I kept the original measurement in the recipe, but I will probably halve it next time I make the cake.  It was a huge hit with the fambly, though!

Menu:

Tofurky with roasted potatoes - picked by me
Tofurky gravy - picked by me
Hot and Sour soup from one of our favorite Vietnamese restaurants - picked by SR
Steamed rice by same restaurant - picked by JK
Jerky in several flavors - picked by GR
Purple sweet potatoes fried with facon - picked by G
Sauteed kale - picked by me
Cranberry sauce, both kinds - picked by SR
Soy nog - picked by me

Pineapple Upside Down cake - picked by G
Black Tie Cheesecake  - picked by GR


Pineapple Upside Down Cake

My thanksgiving feast sans the rice.  I could not finish this meal!  So full.

Here are this year's Thanksgiving desserts.  Sorry the coloring is so orange in these pics.

I was going to put my slices on a fancy plate, but SR didn't want to wash any more dishes, so green paper plates it was!  Couldn't finish these either.  But, they were so yummy.

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Ingredients:

1/2 cup vegan margarine (could probably use less)
1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar ( could probably use less)
1 - 20 oz. can of sliced pineapple rings in natural juice
Maraschino cherries (you can find naturally colored ones at Sprouts or Whole Foods)
1 box of Dr. Oetker Organics cake mix in vanilla
1 and 1/2 Tbs. EnerG Egg Replacer
6 Tbs. water
2/3 cup almond milk
1/2 cup canola oil

Directions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Heat margarine over medium heat in a cast iron skillet.  When completely melted, remove from the heat.  Sprinkle the brown sugar over the margarine, patting down to cover it up to the edges of the pan.  Lay the pineapple rings in a circle around the edge of the pan and one in the center.  Add a cherry to center of each pineapple ring.  Set aside.  In a medium bowl,  add the remaining ingredients, and beat for two minutes or until completely mixed.  Pour over the pineapple slices,  making sure the batter goes to edges of the pan.  Bake for 45 minutes.  Let cool for ten minutes, then flip over onto a serving platter.  You can finish cooling on a rack.  Very moist and tasty.  Feeds five hungry vegans.

16 comments:

  1. oh M, you made my day!!
    I have not had pineapple upside down cake in ages! I love your menu and I am glad to see that we are not the only ecclectic holiday family out there! For Christmas we are having some traditional foods then chinese and some Italian...LOL, Being vegan has its advantages!
    I just tried out a new pinwheel recipe for appetizers, do you have a pinwheel recipe, and if so will you email me, mine was lacking!
    I wish I had been at your house for Thanksgiving, I would have tried everything!
    B~

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to let everyone pick a favorite for dinner. I didn't do that on purpose, but my family members pick the same favorites every year so I'm pretty sure we covered them all, just out of habit! I have a giant (from Costco) bag of frozen pineapple in the freezer and I should probably figure out how to make a gluten-free upside down cake with it. Yours looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful meal! Everything looks delish! Thank you, for sharing, and for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had pineapple upside cake, but I bet I'd like it! Both desserts (and your entire meal) look fantastic. How fun that everyone picks things, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks fabulous BM. Good job! Since I was alone I made black bean soup, salad, baked breaded tofu, baked Pillsbury Grands dinner rolls and I made some apple crisp for dessert. After my son got married 15 years ago we decided they would spend Thanksgiving with her family and then they would have Christmas with me. We have done this since then and I love this arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great spread! I like that it's a little untraditional. The hot and sour soup sounds great. And what a beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you let your family choose the meal that they want for Thanksgiving. So thoughtful of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. VV, I haven't heard of pinwheels. I'm going to look it up and see if it goes by a different name in California. I'll e-mail you if I have a recipe.

    Andrea, our dinner is about half traditional, half "unique." Frozen pineapple rings? So many possibilities!

    WM, thank you!

    Molly, this cake was good. It'd be a great first-time recipe for you guys. :-)

    Millie, sounds like a great tradition!

    FF, thanks, this method definitely works for us. Everyone has something in mind that they want.

    blackhuff, I've been doing it for years, and if I stopped now, I think I'd have a mutiny on my hands. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving all the Thanksgiving postings at the minute - it's so cool to be able to see a traditional that totally doesn't exist over here. That pineapple upside down cake definitely did however - my mum used to make those all the time when we were little! I'm suddenly grasped with an overwhelming urge to go make one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why did you have to make the PIneapple Upside Down Cake in a skillet? Some of us dont feel comfortable putting entire skillets in the oven.

    Kudos to you for letting SR have her pick of Hot & Sour Soup. Most parents would've shut that one down, resulting in eternal bitterness of SR's behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joey, I'd love to see your version.

    SV, it's the same kind of skillet you use to make corn bread. Don't be afraid. The soup is always excellent, and who was I to argue with something that would make my dinner preparation even easier?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I wish I had been at your house on Thanksgiving! Looks like quite the banquet!

    I am going to bookmark this recipe and try out the pineapple up-side down cake on my family during the holidays.

    Hope all is well in the Blessed household!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful vegan feast. I like that you served so many non-traditional dishes, Tofurky and cranberry sauce notwithstanding. Great idea to let everyone choose a favorite dish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ingrid, it always makes me nervous when someone lets me know ahead of time they are going to make a recipe of mine. I prefer to be blindsided. Hope everyone likes it!

    Miss Rachel, thanks, we love doing it this way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your recipe for the pineapple upside down cake. I made it for a potluck at work and everyone raved about it. I was asked to make it again for another work potluck tomorrow! It's so simple and yummy!

    ReplyDelete