Friday, April 6, 2012

Red Beans over Barley

I made a slight variation on the classic dish of red beans over rice.  I've discovered that barley is not just for soups.  It can also work very well on its own.  It's chewy, tasty and filling - a nice alternative to rice.  Anyhow, we eat a lot of beans in my home...a lot, and I've been making simple red beans over rice for a very long time.  It's an easy recipe that is nutritious, as well.  Served over barley with a nice veggie on the side, it makes a complete meal.  This time we had jumbo artichokes from the farmer's market with which to pair it.  Yum!



Red Beans over Barley

Ingredients:

1 pound dried red beans
Water to cover
1 - 32 oz. box of vegetable broth
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

2 cups barley
4 cups water 

 Directions:

 Sort beans for grit.  You can either soak them the night before, or if your digestion is used to beans, just make them the same day without soaking.  If you soak, be sure to rinse the water out and put fresh water in the pot in the morning.  Put beans in a pot with enough water to cover them about two inches over the top of them.  Bring to a boil, and boil for five minutes.  Turn heat down to medium, and cook for two hours.  While cooking, when water is below the top of the beans, add the broth, and stir.  As the broth cooks down, add just enough water to cover just the top of the beans by a half an inch or so.  You are not making a soup.  Test the beans after two hours; if they are almost tender, add the spices.  In a separate pot, combine the barley and water, and bring to a boil.  Cover with a lid, and reduce heat to low.  Cook for twenty minutes.  Beans should be done by the time the barley is.  Serve beans over the barley, spooning any of the bean gravy over the top.  Serve with a nice vegetable to round out the meal.  Feeds five hungry vegans.

15 comments:

  1. Those beans look delectable! I need to make barley more often. This looks like a satisfying meal...I love those big artichokes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yummy! your beans and rice look so good...I make something similar with black beans....I would LOVE to go vegan but i just don't know if i could give up cheese and eggs....i don't eat much meat but....so glad i found you from your comment on my blog! i am so coming back here. do you allow people to copy your recipes??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, thanks, it was a simple, satisfying meal - and so easy to make. :-)

    Faith, welcome! Yes, you can copy my recipes. My recipe index is on a tab on the top of my page. Just if you share it, please credit back to me. :-) As far as giving up cheese and eggs, you will find as you browse my recipes that there are so many alternatives to them. Eventually, you won't even miss them. If you have any more detailed questions, please e-mail me at blessedmama@pacbell.net. I'd love to help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We haven't cooked much with barley, but I should. Yay for jumbo artichokes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so yummy. All I have to do is replace the barley with quinoa, and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cassie, barley is surprisingly good as a side dish. Give it a try!

    Nellie, you bet! That would taste good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love barley so much better than rice. Wish I used it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a straight-up bean dish — nothing fancy, just a few seasonings like you've suggested. They taste so good when cooked at home instead of from a can. Though, cans are great time-savers and I like canned beans, too.

    I agree with you that barley is a delicious grain — wish I could still eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The beans look great! I'm going to make them tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. S.V., hmm, I don't recall seeing barley on your site. You should definitely showcase it soon!

    Andrea, I like the ease of canned beans sometimes, but nothing beats the taste of dried. Canned beans seem undercooked to me, and I can't soften them up, somehow, by cooking them longer. Bummer about the barley. But, there's always quinoa!

    Lisa, hope you like them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow..2 of my favorite foods together...delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Millie, all right! Glad it suits you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never tried barley like this- I don't know why, it looks yum! I love simple recipes, I know I'm going to add some veg and enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Claire, I think barley is overlooked as a grain to stand on its own. It's usually used in soups, but it tastes great by itself. Give it a try! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This really looks delicious. I've always been a big fan of red beans & rice and, basically, beans combined with most any grain. :)

    ReplyDelete