Friday, March 30, 2012

Maple-Glazed Seitan Roast

Here is a twist on the savory seitan recipes that I have put out so far.  This one is sweetened with allspice and has a nice maple syrup glaze to finish it off.  It can be sliced thin or a little thicker, depending on your tastes.  I drizzled mine with mustard when I was ready to eat, and the leftovers would be great cold in sandwiches.  The texture is tender and firm but not rubbery, and the taste got a thumbs up from the family.  I tried Vegan Dad's method of adding a bit of oil and baking in foil.  This roast recipe has taken several tries and tweaks before I was comfortable posting it, so I hope you like it too.

Maple-Glazed Seitan Roast sliced, on serving platter

Right before being wrapped in foil for steaming

Resting before slicing, after being baked

Close-up of those slices

Partnered with sauteed veggies, the roast makes a complete meal

Maple-Glazed Seitan Roast

Ingredients:

1 cup slow-cooked red beans
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup maple syrup  (I had on hand maple agave syrup)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbs. allspice
1 Tbs. onion powder
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 cups gluten flour
2-3 Tbs. maple syrup for glaze
Non-stick spray 

Directions:

Blend all the ingredients from the beans through the pepper in a blender.  Pour into a large bowl.  Stir in the gluten flour and mix until combined well.  Knead for a couple of minutes to ensure there are no dry or wet spots.  It should have the same general feel all throughout.  Shape into a large ball and wrap completely in aluminum foil.  Steam for one hour.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  When roast is done steaming, transfer to baking pan; keep it in foil for now.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Take roast out and unwrap from foil.  Spray baking pan with non-stick spray.  Place roast back on pan.  Glaze roast with maple syrup with a basting brush.  Bake for another fifteen minutes.  Remove from oven and let rest for five minutes before slicing.  Place roast on cutting board and with a large serrated knife, slice thinly or thickly, depending on your tastes. Letting it rest a few more minutes will make it even easier to achieve super thin slices.  Nice taste and texture.  Drizzle with mustard and serve with veggies. Feeds five hungry vegans.

16 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. Unfortunately, I am allergic to gluten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Nellie....but love the seasonings & my hubs is still a seitan salivator!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nellie, oh well, seitan's not for you, but try one of my gluten-free recipes! :-)

    Get Skinny, thanks. I like how they add just enough sweetness - it's a nice undertone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to have fun cooking seitan — and probably would have wanted to try the recipe, before I started eating gluten-free. It looks very tempting, but I shall resist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a bit of a newbie with seitan, only having started making it a few weeks ago, but I'm a total convert. I really like the look of this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! I can just imagine how good it tastes with the added maple. We usually buy packaged seitan when we have it, but should really start making our own more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gia, thank you. :-)

    Andrea, resist if you can...

    Joey, have fun with experimenting around. I'm a relative newbie at making it, as well. Just play with flavors and other ingredients for desired texture.

    Molly, it's so much cheaper to make your own. That's my biggest incentive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seitan and there's a locally made brand that I really like, but I've never tried making it myself. This looks really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss Rachel, thank you. My favorite brand was discontinued, which became the impetus for trying to make my own. When I discovered how versatile it can be, I really began to have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As always, we all can benefit from your tweaking and experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, thank you, Jenny. I hope it turns out for others, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. BM I'm making this tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on the outcome...hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Millie, great, I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're really pushing the slow-cooked red beans. I'll have to look for those.

    ReplyDelete