Saturday, February 4, 2012

Homemade Fries (deep-fried version), and a badge removal

Every once in a while I pull out our deep fryer to make indulgent homemade fries.  Because my fryer is on the smaller side, I have to make our fries in three batches, which ends up taking about 45 minutes.  So, I'll plan on making the other dishes for dinner to time with the fries.  Sometimes, though, we just like the fries as a treat after a hard school day.  You can see in the picture that my fries are crinkle cut.  I've got a tool just for that purpose, so it makes it a little more fun for the Blessings, as well.

On a side note, I've removed my badge for the Circle of Moms contest.  I'll still be on the site, but I won't do any more self-promotion here.  I've heard from several people (including my own sweet mom) who are not getting a hovering hand cursor over the orange thumbs up to vote, so they can't vote.  Also, it looks like I'm pretty much out of the running to be an Internet sensation when you look at my competition.  :-)  But, no worries, every day I get to look at a certain three precious faces and know that I'm their top veggie mom, and that's good enough for me.   Thanks to those who voted or at least attempted to vote.


Homemade Fries (deep-fried version)

Ingredients:

Enough oil to reach fill line in the deep fryer (maybe two cups?)
9 russet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced in fry-type strips
Salt to taste
Ketchup
Rooster sauce

Directions:

Heat oven to 250 degrees. Plug in your deep fryer.  Pour oil to fill line.  While oil is heating, you can prepare your potatoes.  Put in three of the cut potatoes in the deep fryer.  Fry for thirteen to fifteen minutes, until they get a golden brown, turning occasionally. (If you've cut your potatoes particularly thin, they will cook faster.) Line a serving dish with paper towels, and drain the fries there.  Sprinkle with salt.  Repeat with the last two sets of three potatoes.  Keep fries warm in oven while waiting for next batch(es).  Note: please do not place your lid on the fryer while it's plugged in and cooking food; my friend started a kitchen fire in her home by doing that.  Serve with ketchup and/or rooster sauce.  Feeds five hungry vegans -barely!


7 comments:

  1. Homemade fries. Nothing compares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True fries are so good! I don't have a deep fryer, but I do fry in a pan from time to time...they really are a tasty treat! I love the idea of fries after a hard school day; I often crave something like that after a particularly stressful day at work too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look fantastic. It's a good thing that I love oven-roasted potato wedges, otherwise I'd be looking for a deep fryer!

    I think you're an awesome, so you get my vote regardless of a contest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see what you mean about some getting more votes than others..Never even heard of 'A Gluten-Free Vegan Mom Who Knows'. She sounds like zero fun. No Crinkle Cutters or Deep Fryers for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don, thank you, I agree!

    Rose, oh, I'm an emotional eater, for sure. So, it suits me just fine to have a serving of fries after a harrowing algebra lesson! :-)

    Ingrid, we love oven baked wedges too. Yum. This is just an occasional alternative. And, thanks for compliment. :-)

    S.V., yeah, it's pretty overwhelming, those top four or five. It's nice that veggie people in general are getting good publicity, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. homemade fries are the best...especially when they are made with Mama's love.

    ReplyDelete