Thursday, January 5, 2012

Sausage and Cheese Muffins

I developed this recipe a few weeks before Christmas to see if they would turn out, and they did.  So, I presented them on Christmas morning for my family, including my parents, to enjoy.  They are hearty and a tasty way to start the day.

Just a note: You'll see that I'll be using flax seed thickener, instead of EggReplacer, in my savory dishes.  Just trying to incorporate more flax in our diet.



Sausage and Cheese Muffins
Ingredients:
1 Tbs. olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped small
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 pkg. Gimme Lean sausage style, diced small
1 pkg. Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet cheese, cheddar style, shredded finely and divided
2 cups of flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. flax seed meal
3 Tbs. water
1 and 1/2 cups plain rice milk
Non-stick spray
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the garlic and green onion, and saute for one minute.  Add the diced sausage to the pan, and cook for five minutes, until it has browned.  Stir occasionally.  Add half of the cheese to the sausage mixture and stir until it has softened and blended in, about one minute.  Set aside to cool while you work with the rest of the ingredients.  In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.  In a small pot, mix together the flax seed meal with the water.  Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it is thickened, about a minute or two.  Add this, along with the rice milk, to the flour mixture.  Using a hand mixer, blend on medium low speed until incorporated.  Add the sausage mixture, and stir well with a spoon.  Spray a cupcake pan's wells with the non-stick spray.  Fill wells to the top with batter.  Top with the remaining cheese.  Bake for 40 minutes.  An inserted toothpick will not come out clean because of the cheese and sausage inside the muffin, but after 40 minutes, they will be done.  Makes one dozen muffins.  These freeze great, as well, if you want to double the recipe.  Feeds five hungry vegans.

10 comments:

  1. You sure are sticking to Follow Your Heart cheese. Next cold spell we have, I'll try to make some of these. They sound like a great accompaniment to Tofu Scramble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh nice, I made a vegan "cheesy" herb muffin once but with nooch rather than actual vegan cheese so these look way gooier and better than them. I like this idea because it's like an entire breakfast in one handheld little muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Blessedmama, your muffins look scrumptious!!

    Ciao
    A.
    http://alessandra-veganblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice! I don't make savoury muffins often enough! Those sound great for a weekend brunch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. S.V., I like FYH because it's so much more affordable that its competition.

    FF, I agree - a meal in one. :-)

    Alessandra, thank you.

    Lovlie, thank you. I think they would fit in a brunch, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness those look good! I love savory breads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can just picture the family oohing and ahhhing as they devoured their muffins. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paulina, thank you!

    Andrea, were you peeking through our blinds?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you use almond milk in these?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Tara, I'm sure you could. :-)

    ReplyDelete