Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Zukes with Anaheim Peppers and Garlic

So, if you read my previous post, you will remember that I had a side dish that I really liked.  Here is basically my lunch the next day, an exact replica of the dinner the night before.  I think you'll really like the zucchini dish that I made to go with my Radical Rice Salad.  I've made it again since the first time I enjoyed it.  What's nice about Anaheim peppers is that they're just slightly hotter than bell peppers, so they can suit taste buds that can't tolerate heat, but for those heat-lovin' people that are in the same family as the former, it gives them a little pepper variety beyond the classic bell.



Zukes with Anaheim Peppers and Garlic

Ingredients:

2 Tbs. olive oil
2 Anaheim peppers, ends trimmed and sliced in rings - you can scoop out the seeds with a spoon and rinse the rest out, or leave a few seeds in for heat, like I do
5 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
6 medium or 4 large zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat oil in a large pan.  Add the garlic and peppers and cook for one minute over medium heat.  Add the zucchini and cook for five to ten minutes longer, until the zucchini is fork-tender.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve with Radical Rice Salad, above, or another hearty grain dish.  Feeds five hungry vegans.

11 comments:

  1. Anaheim peppers are new to me, but I like the "slightly hotter" than bell pepper. Will give them a try, if I can find them, do not recall having ever seen them.

    Rich looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WM, you should be able to find them in your produce department next to the hotter peppers. They are longer than a jalapeno. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice combo. I was eyeing that in the background on your Radical Rice Salad post, thinking they were cucumbers. It's a great idea to pair a couple of veggies and let them shine. Lovely hues of green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What time is lunch being served?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great side dish! I love zucchini & we've never cooked with anaheim peppers. I'm going to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be right over! ;-) (Looks so yummy.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice blogging technique; turning of the plate for consecutive day posting. Again, it looks very healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have just received a Liebster Award at www.carrottopvegan.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anaheim Peppers may be more common to those areas near Anaheim. Olives and Garlic together on one plate! You must've been lovin' life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rose, thanks, this combo does work well together.

    Andrea, are you bringing some of your goodies, too?

    Molly, give it a try! They're tasty.

    Fayinagirl, are you and Andrea carpooling?

    Jenny, hey, just to be clear, I turned the plate the next day! :-)

    Farrah, thank you. I'll check it out.

    S.V., it was just indescribable Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This meal looks great! I like anaheim too :) And the rice salad sounds great ~ especially the artichokes and garbonzos!

    Hope things are well in your world!

    ReplyDelete