Thursday, September 29, 2011

Confetti Tofu with Red Pepper Hummus on Rye

Here is my second entry into the sandwich contest, which also didn't land the grand prize.  But, I was happy with how this turned out.  I really like how the crunch of the vegetables worked with the softness of the tofu.  And, the hummus was a great complement as a spread.  This is definitely going to go on my recurring menu board.  Hope you like it, too.  Again, I've had to adjust my measurements from two sandwiches to five, but I'm pretty sure these are close to accurate.


Confetti Tofu with Red Pepper Hummus on Rye

Ingredients:

Tofu:
1 pkg. extra-firm tofu, drained and mashed
2/3 cup of vegenaise
1 Tbs. of yellow mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 and 1/2 cup Italian Mix Giardiniera, chopped, excluding the onions

Hummus:
1 - 15oz. can of garbanzo beans, drained
1 Tbs. sesame tahini
1 and 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 and 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers (jarred)
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp. salt

10 slices of Rye bread

Directions:

For the Tofu: In a medium bowl, mix all of the ingredients together.  Set aside.

For the Hummus:  In a food processor, process all the ingredients, until smooth, at least one minute.  Taste, and adjust seasonings, if necessary.

For the Sandwich:  Spread at least a tablespoon of hummus on one side of each slice of rye bread.  Add two to three tablespoons of the tofu mixture on half of the bread slices.  Top with remaining rye bread.  Messy, so have a napkin or two nearby.  Very unusual and good.  You will have leftovers for more sandwiches the next day for lunch.  Enjoy!  Feeds five hungry vegans.

18 comments:

  1. I don't understand why you didn't win with either of these sandwiches. If I were one of the judges, things would be different. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks, Andrea! Hmm, I wonder how I can sneak you onto the panel next year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. Wish I had the ingredients now, I would make the recipe. It will wait until tomorrow.

    Thank you, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like my kind of sammy! Sure looks like a winner to me! I know I'll be trying it.
    Your recipe for the hummus is almost exactly what I make. :0) I so love hummus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WM, thanks. Let me know how you like it.

    Michelle, thank you. I think there are only so many ways to make hummus - hmm, now you've got me thinking how I can make a really creative one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fun you entered a sandwich contest. Sandwiches=my favorite food. Yours both look great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jenny! It's also a way for me to earn a few extra dollars for the family. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea on how to use that gardiniera mix. This looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Jenny and Joey Tribbiani -- Sandwiches are my favorite food.

    Echoing Rose -- Great use of the Gardiniera Mix.

    So what Sandwich won the contest?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Rose!

    S.V., a strawberry with olives and goat cheese sandwich won. No comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Strawberry with Olives and Goat Cheese Sandwich won?!

    Actually, that does sound kind of interesting. Wonder if it was on Pumpernickel?

    ReplyDelete
  12. S.V., it was on a croissant. I bet you could create a much better version. It's at www.makethatsandwich.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This would be a useful lesson for The Blessings on what is commonly referred to as 'A Travesty Of Justice'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha, ha! Yes, S.V., but it lets me know what they're looking for. Perhaps I'll make a mango pepper onion sandwich next year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, the perfect spread, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love a good sandwich. Every time I come to your blog I get hungry. I think that's a good sign. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fayinagirl, thank you. I get hungry looking at other blogs, too! It's great to see so many cruelty-free options out there.

    ReplyDelete