Sunday, May 2, 2010

Potato Scramble

This is a dish that I came up with a couple of months ago and have found that I really like it for its taste and versatility. It's great for either breakfast or dinner, and you just need some basic ingredients - whatever of that type you have on hand, and go for it. It's easy on the pantry and wallet, as well. Nutritional, fast and scrumptious. Good stuff!


Potato Scramble

Ingredients:

3 russet potatoes, baked or boiled the night/day before
1 Tbs. canola oil
1 - 15 oz. can of beans, undrained (here we used kidney beans)
1 bunch of greens, chopped coarsely (here we used spinach leaves, which you can leave whole)
1 cup of chopped veggies (here we used carrots and peas)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder

Directions:

I've found I like the texture of the potatoes in this dish if they are boiled or baked prior to frying them. This avoids a super crispy skin, which can be great in other dishes, and an overabundance of oil. If you boil the taters first, you can either peel them or not. Baking them, you would probably leave the skin on afterwards. In any case, chop them up into large bite-sized pieces. Then, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes, and cook until they just begin to brown. Add the rest of the ingredients (the liquid from the beans adds just enough moisture to keep the food moving around without sticking), and cook until the greens wilt and the veggies are tender, ten to fifteen minutes. I've used a variety of beans, greens and veggies in this dish, and they've all been delicious. Have fun with the variety and using up what you have on hand. It's filling and yummy. Feeds five hungry vegans.

15 comments:

  1. That does sound good and filling. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you were quick! Thanks for the feedback, friend. I hope all is well with you and Dan is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quick and filling meal:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started using Google Reader and keeping it open all the time. It makes certain I don't miss things for days, as I have before. ;-)

    Dan is starting to feel a little better since his fever broke. Thanks for asking.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Janet, It is! I love it, so I've been making it a lot. That lucky family of mine gets the same dish over and over and...

    Alicia, you are so far ahead of me tech-wise. I have no idea what a Google Reader is! But, I'm glad it's helping you stay on top of things. And, I just read your post, so I heard about Dan. Glad the fever broke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum. My husband is a potato fiend he will love this...I can imagine eating loads of this. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We eat loads of it, ourselves, Rose. Sounds like our husbands are a bit similar from the few things we've said back and forth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good yummy food...everything a vegan loves, very nice.

    http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So simple! How come no one has thought of this before?? You'd better call it the Blessed Mama Scramble before someone else takes credit for this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, S.V., it is so simple! Hopefully, no one will call it their own, but I don't mind people building on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such great, low cost recipes. Good cookin' Mama! ;-)

    I love that you are a homeschool mama like me. Great to be in such wonderful company. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Fayinagirl, I guess I missed noticing that you are a homeschool mom, too! Well, yay! I kind of think our lifestyle goes hand in hand with homeschooling. And, yes, on one income, I'm always on the lookout for ways to make budget-friendly meals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delish! I'm filing this away for future reference.

    ReplyDelete