Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Garbage Tofu

Ah, yes, Garbage Tofu, a very common dish in our home. For a while, a brief while, I had the name changed to Variety Tofu to give it more dignity, but my children resoundly outvoted me, and so the moniker Garbage Tofu lives on. This meal is different every single time I make it because it is comprised of anything and everything that I happen to have on hand, including leftovers of any kind, small portions of casseroles, nuts and seeds, strange sauces, beans, veggies, small bags, jars or boxes of stuff that need to be used up, you just never know. Now, I do try to make it tasty. I won't add blackberry jam with leftover green curry sauce...or will I? Usually, I add one to two cups of various ingredients with the tofu, stir it with a sauce or a smattering of seasonings, and put it on the table. Those are the times it's really fun being a mom and wife, watching your family eat what you place in front of them. But, let's not be cruel, let's try to make it taste good, people! Below, you will see my latest version, which actually went over so well, that my oldest blessing forgot it was the garbage dish and asked for it again! So, this one might be a keeper.


Garbage Tofu

Ingredients:

1 Tbs. of olive oil
2 pkgs. of extra-firm, tofu, water-packed, either diced or smashed - this time I diced my tofu
Any one to two cups of oddball ingredients that you are brave enough to throw in the pan. For this dish I used about 1/2 cup leftover cauliflower, 1/2 cup leftover fried potatoes, about 1 Tbs. of capers, 1 4oz. can of sliced mushrooms, 1 Tbs. ground flax seed, and 2 Tbs. soy sauce.

Directions:

Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the tofu, being careful not to get hit with splattering water/oil. Turn up the heat to medium-high and stir occasionally, until tofu begins to brown, about ten minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, lowering heat to medium. Cook for about five or so minutes, until everything is heated through. Depending on what you throw in, it can be served alone or over rice. I served this one with a fresh fruit salad made with apples, mandarin oranges, bananas and strawberries. It can be very tasty, if you've begun to master what flavors blend well. Feeds five hungry vegans.

17 comments:

  1. WOW, this sounds awesome!
    Did you know that on Diners, Drive ins and Dives Guy Fieri went to a restaurant that served garbage plates? It was literally piled to the sky and had... in no order...Potato's, some type of meat, it was your choice, peppers, eggs, cheese, gravy and some kind of finishing sauce....Pretty cool you made a healthy one!!! Way to go girlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brandi! Is this Diners thing in Kansas? Oh, no, I realized it must be a blog. I'll have to check it out. How you feelin'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am feeling well, thank you so much!
    Diners, drive in's and dives is a tv show on the food channel, you can see it on youtube for free, it is awesome, you will love it so much. I get tons of idea's off of it! We do not have cable so I check out youtube for things that interest me!! Cause I am cheap like that!! LOl
    How are you today?
    Oh I found the google reader Ali was talking about. Type in google reader in your top bar and it will have you log on and it will allow you to follow all of your reading blogs!!! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...that's a name to remember. It looks great, it sounds fabulous, so it must taste fantastic. Excellent dish for me to try this week.

    http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it just me, or is that pic of the Garbage Tofu over-exposed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Millie, thank you.

    S.V., tsk-tsk, if it's over-exposed, then expose me the more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I am late stopping by. We had some errands and appts today. I must say the name sounds like something the kids would love. ;-) I make things like this too but don't often include tofu. Thanks for the suggestion.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, the kids love the name, Alicia! I'd love to see what you make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The next time I do something with leftovers I will post it. Thanks for the suggestion. ;-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning, sending blessings your way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice that people feel the need to critique your photography, you were very gracious about it!
    This looks delicious and may need to be tested and added to my clients menu.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah, thanks for stopping by again! I'm sure your young client would love the name and whatever concoction you decide to put in. This particular version was a real hit with my gang. I'd love to hear how the whole vegan-client thing is working out for the two of you. Sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh i love it! garbage tofu, im saying it in my head like garbaaage, you know? no? just me? lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Michelle! Glad you could make a trip over to my pad. You can pronounce the name any way you wish, my dear. My kids are just glad to have the original name back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh i have been a lurker on your page for awhile:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oooo, lurker! How completely ducky of you. :)

    ReplyDelete