Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chunky Miso Soup

This is one of my favorite soups; I serve this a few times a year. I actually got the start for this off a miso container lid. It was a miso soup recipe that I had never seen before. Anyway, over the years I've tweaked it just enough to make it mine. I really like this photo, too. See the steam still rising from the bowl? I have to put this away right after dinner, or else I'll literally be eating it all night long until bedtime. Hope you like it as much as I do.


Chunky Miso Soup

Ingredients:

2 Tbs. canola oil
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 small cauliflower, florets sliced
2 large carrots, grated
1/2 head of cabbage, sectioned and sliced thinly
4 cans of vegetable broth
4 cups of water
1 package extra firm tofu, drained and diced very small
1/3 cup of peanut butter (or your favorite nut butter)
1/4 cup miso

Directions:

In a large pot, heat the oil on medium heat. Add the vegetables and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining ingredients and keep cooking for about another 20 minutes, until the peanut butter and miso have dissolved and been mixed in. A note on the peanut butter: it can be smooth or crunchy - I prefer the crunchy because I love to crunch the bits of peanut. Also, you can use cashew or almond butter, as well. They all work deliciously in this soup. Feeds five hungry vegans.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, wowza that looks good! There are many of my favorite things in there, plus any soup with cabbage is a hit with me. I made these ginger miso yam wraps a while back, and it used a combo of miso and peanut butter and I loved it. Since then I've pondered how these two flavors might meet again, this sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, your wraps sound delish! I think you will love this soup. The flavors been perfectly, and I'm a complete piggo with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miso and peanut butter! I would never have thought of that but is sounds great. I am already thinking of a salad use for the combination.

    Thanks so much for posting this I can't wait to play around with the idea because it sounds so good.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so good, Alicia. Let us all know what goodies you come up with the various combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Wow! This Miso Soup looks incredibly delicious! It's really my kind of food, I've never thought of making it chunky. It sounds really good, can't wait to give it a try.

    P.S. Please stop by Magpie whenever you come down this way, it would be very nice to get to meet my blogger friend in person, can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Oraphan. Let me know if you try the soup. I'll look up Magpie if I'm in the area. I don't have plans for the near future to be down south, but you never know later. :)

    ReplyDelete